What you need to know:
- Six months’ notice is required to schedule a marriage celebration in our parish.
- Marriage ceremonies are booked for available Thursdays and Fridays at 1:00 pm and Saturdays at 1:00 pm or 2:00 pm.
- Marriages are scheduled for Canmore, pending shrine availability. We schedule on a first come basis.
- Sunday marriage ceremonies or outdoor ceremonies are not permitted in the Diocese of Calgary.
- To be married in a Catholic church in the Calgary Diocese, at least one member of the couple must be Catholic.
- Marriages may only be celebrated with a Mass if both of you are Catholic.
- A marriage is still considered a sacrament if one member of the couple is baptized in another church.
When you have held (tentatively booked) a date, you must do the following to secure your date:
- Meet with your parish priest. Please ask him to send an email to email@example.com or send a letter indicating that he has met with you and has begun the necessary paperwork. All paperwork and preparations are to be completed with the couple's own parish priest.
- A marriage preparation course is mandatory for all couples planning to celebrate marriage in the diocese of Calgary. Please speak with your parish priest to see if your parish offers a program.
- If either of you have been previously married to someone else in the Catholic Church, any church or in a civil ceremony, you will require a Declaration of Nullity before you can be married in the Shrine Church. Please speak to your parish priest as soon as possible, we cannot provide a secure or confirmed booking until this matter is resolved.